The ICC Website is changing. As this transition is made, our new format can be found at www.pesicc.org/ICCWP. Please send any comments or questions to email@example.com.
• John Densley was born in Swansea, Wales in 1943. John Densley was educated in the United Kingdom, where he obtained a B. Sc. (Eng.) and Ph.D. in electrical engineering in 1964 and 1967 respectively. His doctoral thesis from the University of London was on “Partial discharges in polymers under impulse voltages”.
• In 1968, he joined the Power Engineering Section of the National Research Council of Canada, where he was responsible for setting up a program of research into aging mechanisms of polymeric insulating materials. This involved studies of cross-linked polyethylene used in medium and high- voltage cables. The work determined the important parameters in water and electrical-tree degradation and helped establish conditions for accelerated aging tests
• He became Section Head from 1987 to 1991, responsible for 20 engineers and technologists.
• In 1991, John joined the Electrical Power Systems Group of the Ontario Hydro Research Division, which later became Ontario Power Technologies and then Kinectrics. Here he continued his research into aging and diagnostic techniques to assess the condition of electrical insulation systems in power equipment such as cables, transformers and switchgear. The work led to the development of instruments to make online measurements of power factor and an active bridge to measure dielectric properties at low frequency; also responsible for a program to measure the partial discharge pulse characteristics of electrical trees and interfaces in transmission class cables. He lead several projects investigating electroluminescence and space charge phenomena that occurred during the electrical degradation of extruded insulation systems
• He retired from Kinectrics in 2000 and formed ArborLec Solutions Inc. to provide consulting services on electrical insulation systems.
• John has published over 100 research papers on insulation systems, delivered more than 50 technical presentations including seminars, workshops and professional development courses. He is a co-author of a patent on electrical tree suppression in high voltage polymeric insulation.
Dr. Densley is also active in the Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation Society, a member of the Canadian Electrical Association Distribution Research and Development Committee and is a Registered Professional Engineer in the province of Ontario.
·Best Paper at IEEE DEIS International Symposium on Electrical Insulation (1984)
·Fellow of IEEE (1987) for contributions to the understanding of aging and breakdown processes in high voltage polymeric cable insulation
·IEEE DEIS T.W. Dakin Award in (1988)
·Recipient of IEEE Third Millennium Medal 2000
·2003 ICC Distinguished Service Award
·2008 Dr. George H. Bahder Memorial Award
·2010 IEEE Canada Power Medal “For contributions to the understanding and diagnosis of power cable problems"
·Canadian Representative for CIGRE Study Committee 15 (Materials for Electrotechnology) (1990 - 1998)
·Convenor of CIGRE SC15 TF3 (Space Charge Measurements) (1996 – 1999)
·Convenor of CIGRE SC15 WG 12 (DC Insulation) (1999 - 2001)
·Secretary of CIGRE D.1.12 (Formerly WG 15.12) (HVDC Insulation) (2001 – present)
·Member of CIGRE SC15 Working Groups 15:06 (1990 - 1996), 15:09 (1996 -2000), 15:10 (1996-present), SC15TF1 (1996-2000)
·Chairman of Canadian National Committee IEC TC98 (Electrical Insulation Systems) (1994 - 2000)
·Member of IEC TC98 WG2 (1994 - 2000)
·Member of IEEE/PES Insulated Conductors Committee (ICC) since 1980, Voting Member since 1994
·Vice-Chairman of ICC SC A (Cable Characteristics and Design) (1999 - 2001)
·Chairman of ICC Working Group A13 (Accelerated Testing Using Tanks) (1992 - present)
·Chairman of ICC Discussion Group A3 (Performance of Extruded Dielectrics) (1994 - 2003)
·Vice-Chairman of ICC Working Group C18 (Very Low Frequency Testing in the Field) (1999 - present)
·Member of ICC 'On to 100' Committee (Planning Future Direction of ICC) (1996 – 2000)
·Assistant Editor IEEE Transactions on Electrical Insulation (1976-1990)
·Editor in Chief IEEE Electrical Insulation Magazine (2002 – 2008)
Return to the ICC Homepage